12.18.2006

Library Experiment Number One

I walked into the library, slid open a card catalogue drawer and pinched a slim stack of yellowed cards between my thumb and pointer finger. I wrote down those titles in a little book.

Oakland Main Public Library
Local History card catalogue
17 cards from drawer “Well-Whit” in reverse order. No skips.

Where the Trail Winds Down
Where the Mission Shadows Fall
Where Once the Thrushes Sang
Where Life is Life
When Zephyrs Blow
When the Snows Drift
When the Overland Comes In
When the Moon on the Lake is Beaming
When the Baby Died
When Phyllis Walks with Me
When Phyllis Plays
When My Ship Came In
When I am Tired
When I am Gone
When I am Dead
When Almonds Bloom
Whelplay, James Davenport “If Canada Were to Annex the United States”

3 comments:

mist1 said...

Your library still has cards?

Anonymous said...

Not bad, but not up to your usual standard!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. It reads like the most heartfelt eulogy I have ever heard. (Besides the Canada part)